April Reads


Quidditch Through The Ages by J. K. Rowling (4/5*s)
Quidditch Through The Ages is a copy of the book mentioned throughout the Harry Potter series, detailing everything you need to know about the sport. As a huge Harry Potter fan I can't believe I didn't read this sooner, especially when it's been on my bookshelf for nearly 7 years! I really enjoyed this as an addition to the series and I loved finding out more about Quidditch.

Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer (5/5*s)
The third book in The Lunar Chronicles book follows Cress as she escapes her satellite prison and joins Cinder and the others on the quest to stop Queen Levana. This is my favourite in the series so far and the first one I felt that I couldn't put down. Cress has become my favourite character and I also loved Thorne as well. I loved how everything has been brought together and all the smaller plots have linked!

City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments #4) by Cassandra Clare (4/5*s)
City of Fallen Angels is the fourth book in The Mortal Instruments series, moving on from the Valentine plot and focusing more on Simon and his story. I loved finding out more about Simon in the book. He's a character that I've never particularly liked but this book won me over! I'm really interested to see where his story goes in the final two books. City of Fallen Angels also had a huge cliffhanger which I can't stop thinking about - I need to read the next one ASAP!

Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles #3.5) by Marissa Meyer (4/5*s)
Fairest is a prequel to Cinder, following Levana's early life and her journey to becoming Queen. This wasn't my favourite in the series but I feel like it was an important read. This really built up the story for the last book in the series, explaining Winter's early life and why Levana turned out to be so evil. Although Fairest does explain Levana's actions and make you sympathise with her, it doesn't not excuse her actions which is why I really enjoyed it. It also got me really excited to read the last book!

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them by J. K. Rowling (4/5*s)
Similar to Quidditch Through The Ages, Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them is based on a school book from the Harry Potter series. I didn't enjoy this as much as it's companion but I did really love the section on dragons! It's another nice edition to the series and now I can't wait for the film.

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2) by Cassandra Clare (4/5*s)
Clockwork Prince rejoins Tessa and her Shadowhunter friends as they continue their search for the Magister. I enjoyed this more than Clockwork Angel and I loved the introduction of the Lightwoods. I definitely prefer Jem and Tessa's relationship to Will and Tessa, although I am warming to Will a bit more! I loved the cliffhanger at the end of the book and I can't wait to read Clockwork Princess to see how the series will end.

Brooklyn by Colm Toibin (3/5*s)
Brooklyn is centred around Ellis, a girl from Ireland in the 1950s, as she moves to America for a new job. I had high hopes when I started Brooklyn, but sadly it didn't live up to them. The book was very repetitive, following Ellis to work, college and back home every day. I also didn't like Ellis' love interest, and found it hard to believe that she really did love him. It picked up near the end but I was really disappointed with the ending. 

The Raven King (The Raven Cycle #4) by Maggie Stiefvater (5/5*s)
The Raven King is the final book in The Raven Cycle series, follow Blue and her Raven Boys as they try to find Glendower and save Gansey. This book was near enough perfect. From the very first page I was so sad this series was ending. Although I did find some of the new characters unnecessary, I thought this had the perfect ending. There are still some unanswered questions but I actually don't mind that. I love all of these characters and I'm happy with where the ended up. This series is so special and unique, I'd encourage everyone to give it a try.

Have you read any of these books? What did you think?

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lucy Fiona

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig